Banner

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gimme That!

It's impossible to write a proper stand up comedy blog (because as we all know... standards for these things are mighty high) without touching on comedy theft. I have ran a decently successful open mic night for the past two years and in that time have ran across countless people (well... not countless, probably about 150-170 if you want to get mathematically technical... nerds) who went on stage. I can only remember a small handful of them trying to rip off others material.

I'll share some stories in a different update about people who help themselves to a two ears and a mouth discount (the cousin of the five finger discount), but let me throw out something that isn't much mentioned with joke thieves:

Some aren't to blame.

No one really says that - and don't get me wrong, what they are doing is a bad thing, but I honestly believe some of the people who sign up simply don't know any better. I'm not defending their actions, only their complete ignorance. They don't know enough about etiquette in the stand up world. In fact, there is a good chance the only time they have seen stand up comedy was either over fifteen years ago during the 90's boom, or three to five minutes at a time while flipping through channels when "Celebrity Rehab" was on commercial.

If no one tells them, "hey... this is why this is wrong" - they simply won't understand... and in my experience, even if you do tell them, they still don't understand. THAT is when they become laugh burglars.

Here is the rationale of ones who don't understand: "I watch bands cover songs, why can't I cover comedy?"

Which, in fairness, isn't the dumbest reason someone could have. Songs are creative expression, written and worked on by artists (...and hair metal bands) - so how does that pass off as vastly different than stand up comedy? Well... it doesn't. If you break it down, doing a cover of someone's song without their direct permission is a form of plagiarism, but different for two main reasons.

1. Doing cover songs has become pretty nationally accepted. I have to imagine the first few times someone did a show dressed as Elvis, covering all of Elvis's songs... some where, someone with a gold plated Elvis album hanging on their wall had to say, "this is bullshit." Songs are on the radio all day, in movies and TV, on youtube most of the time with the bands consent - it's basically public domain. Which leads to:

2. Everyone knows who the song belongs to. A local band isn't going to fire up "Crazy Train" by Ozzy and trick anyone into thinking they wrote it in the wee hours the night before. In fact, if they tried out the "B-side" of let's say a Drowning Pool album, most people might not instantly know it, but will still say, "Which band does this song?" At no point while hearing that is someone going to nudge a guy at the bar stool next to him and say, "give your cousin a call... this is that new sound he has been looking for." (Yes, that was me making a dig on Marty McFly being a complete asshole for ripping off Chuck Berry before ol 'Chuck ever performed Johnny B Goode. Time travel does not make plagiarism okay, butt head.)

Stand up bits, even some that are somewhat well known, are not going to be known by an average comedy club goer. Sure, if someone dove into Richard Pryor material or went into a Chris Rock impression... everyone is going to know. But if someone changed a word or two around then did two straight minutes of let's say an early Patton Oswalt bit... it's going to go completely unnoticed by the majority.

Here is the simplistic break down: One student hands the book, "The Cat in the Hat" to a teacher and says, "I couldn't come up with anything... but this is by Dr. Suess... let me read it to you." The second student hands in a re-written, sloppy, make shift pile of construction paper of the same book to the teacher and says, "this is The Dog in the Cap... I wrote it."

That's the person who can't claim ignorance... and good chance if you know someone like that who made you laugh while they were on stage... they can't claim their material either.
____________________________________________
*Disclaimer* This is not advice, a how-to manual, or in any way presented as fact. No one at my level (or to me.. at any level) should give "advice" about how to do stand up. This is simply opinions and things I have noticed along the way of performing stand up comedy.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of comments:

    First off, I have to claim bullshit with the first half of your second sentence. Yeah, that early into your post I'm calling BS. You state that "I have ran a decently successful open mic night for the past two years..." Sir, all ass-kissing aside, as someone who has been to a lot (a LOT) of open mics around the country, you don't run a 'decently successful open mic night' unless you're running another one besides the one I met you at. You've got a great open mic, with a great following, and you run it well. Don't sell yourself short there. I mean, you've got plenty of reasons to sell yourself short, the quality of your open mic, not one of them.

    Second, I think you're right about what a lot of people who get on stage about an open mic think, that they can bring some off-the-wall old crap and use it as their own. I've done it without realizing while running a tangent on stage, but I don't think I've ever stepped on someone's material on purpose, and if I have I need to be called for it.

    A lot of people who hit your open mic are 'funny guys' who people think are funny because they spend hours and hours and hours online looking at comedy and then regurgitate it at work or school, and people say "hey, you should go to that open mic, you're funny!" There is a difference between an open-micer and and a comic, and that difference is dedication, devotion, and constant writing, working, perfecting material. Out of 100 of people who hit the open mic, 3 of them will try to go pro, and 1 will make it. Some will be like me, good enough to get a paying feature or host or headline gig every now and then, but I'm too old to work as hard as you are to 'make it.' My life won't support 'making it' as there's no way I can tour the way you need to to 'make it,' so I don't kid myself about it. I DO try new material constantly, and I CAN write material, and if my life came down to it, I could probably 'make it' if I were willing to sacrifice. I'm not. No worries.

    The other issue I want to address with this issue, is that the line between plagiarism, satire, tribute and coincidence is pretty slim. I mean, if I were to make a TV Show about, say, a group of roommates who live in New York City, are friends with their neighbors, and the antics they get into, am I ripping off Friends, Seinfeld, Louis, Rhoda, or whom? A joke premise is universal, how you approach it is what makes it unique.

    Another comedian with the same first name and I have very similar jokes about how bad our sex lives are married guys are, in fact we both title the joke "Missionary Sex" He says missionary sex is when he prays for it, I say missionary sex is when I pray my wife doesn't wake up while I masturbate. Same premise, same subjects, same words. Is it joke stealing? I don't think so, they were both written before we met. In fact, I told that the first night performed at Memphis when he was still running the show, and we went round and round about the joke, because he thought I ripped it off from his. I wrote mine in 2002.

    In general, as a less-successful, less-ambitions, arguably less-talented comic than you, it irks me to see people get up at the open mic and kill it rewording material that we spend an hour after the show identifying the source artist on. When I've hosted, and caught people doing that, I usually would point it out as they get off stage with a "that was John Smith doing his best Dane Cook" remark, to let them know > I < know they ripped it off.

    Dang, its slow at the car lot today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply! It irks me to watch anyone do stolen material, but I tend to have a "one and done" attitude towards people I get the sense just don't get it. I feel everyone deserves an explanation of why they can't do certain things that might come from an environment they have never been around before even if the thing they are doing is somewhat obvious.

    But, when someone tells me, "... this isn't my first time, I've done stand up on and off for five years" and then they obviously lift stuff, I have no sympathy or patience for them.

    Thanks for the reply again, would like to get a base of people - hopefully the are reading them on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete